Summary of Position
The Director of NTRA Communications directs and organizes the overall public relations efforts of the organization to maintain a favorable image of the Thoroughbred racing and breeding industry in general as well as the organization itself; works with all internal departments to design and direct communications intended to keep the public informed about the industry’s programs, accomplishments and point of view; assists all internal departments in communicating to the racing and breeding industry regarding all the organization’s programs and activities including annual reports, guides, compilations, press releases, advertisements, administrative materials and newsletters both in print and electronic formats to ensure consistent messages are delivered to the organizations members and the entire thoroughbred industry.
- Direct and organize the overall public relations efforts of the NTRA
- Design and direct communication efforts to keep the public informed about the NTRA’s programs, accomplishments and point of view.
- Field and direct responses to all media-related inquiries.
- Write, edit and distribute all NTRA press releases, media advisories, statements, etc., while working across all departments of NTRA.
- Maintain and develop a variety of distribution lists and oversees dissemination of industry communications and press releases while serving as primary NTRA liaison to national and trade media.
- Develop and produce industry communications regarding NTRA programs and activities. Work with all internal departments to oversee and produce NTRA program communications, including annual reports, guides, compilations, press releases, advertisements, administrative materials and newsletters both in print and electronic formats. Create, manage and adhere to production and placement schedules for industry communications.
- Author, edit and review materials for grammatical, technical and factual correctness.
- Assist with day-to-day management of NTRA website.
- Advise NTRA senior staff on various matters that contain a media component (e.g. crisis communications, general media inquiries).
- Serve as clearing house and resource for national media inquiries.
- Answer statistical/informational queries from racing and mainstream media
- Host and plan the NTRA’s National Media Teleconferences featuring key participants in the upcoming major races.
- Assist with all media, PR and operational matters around the NHC and Eclipse Awards.
- Manage NTRA Thoroughbred Polls.
- BS in Journalism, Marketing or Business Administration
- Five years’ experience in similar role
- Excellent writing, proofreading and organizational skills.
- Strong grasp of industry and communications skills essential.
- Proficiency on Word, Excel, cloud-based email services such as Bronto and Constant Contact, also social media content management software such as Hootsuite.
- Ability to perform Website content updates (e.g. WordPress).
The NTRA, based in Lexington, Ky., is a broad-based coalition of more than 100 horse racing interests and thousands of individual stakeholders consisting of horseplayers, racetrack operators, owners, breeders, trainers and affiliated horse racing associations, charged with increasing the popularity, welfare and integrity of Thoroughbred racing through consensus-based leadership, legislative advocacy, safety and integrity initiatives, fan engagement and corporate partner development. The NTRA owns and manages the NTRA Safety and Integrity Alliance; NTRA.com; the Eclipse Awards; the National Horseplayers Championship; NTRA Advantage, a corporate partner sales and sponsorship program; and Horse PAC®, a federal political action committee. NTRA press releases appear on NTRA.com, Twitter (@ntra) and Facebook (facebook.com/1NTRA).
See Job opening release here.
How to Apply
Submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Aflorence@ntra.com