NEW YORK CITY (Thursday, March 27, 2014) – Nicholas Bozovsky earned a berth in January’s $2 million-estimated Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship, Presented by Racetrack Television Network, Sovereign Stable and Treasure Island Las Vegas (NHC) by finishing first in last weekend’s first free “NHC Online Challenge” of the year. A resident of Westchester, Ill., Bozovsky amassed a final bankroll of $89.90 from mythical $2 win and place wagers on 10 races run Saturday at tracks across the country.
NHC berths were awarded to the top four finishers, which also included Paul Mahre ($89.40) of Eagan, Minn.;Dagmar Gustaffson ($86.70) of Fort Bragg, Calif.; and David Curry ($81.40) of Portland, Ore. In addition to their NHC entry, the four qualifiers will receive roundtrip air travel (up to $400) and four nights of hotel accommodations for their trip to NHC XVI.
More than 1,800 players registered for the NHC Online Challenge. There will be four more free NHC Online Challenge events in 2014: April 13, May 31, June 8 and Sept. 13. In all, a total of 20 seats to the NHC will be awarded to NHC Tour members qualifying in these free tournaments. Membership ($50) in the 2014 NHC Tour is mandatory to participate in the online tournaments. To sign up for the NHC Tour, visit www.ntra.com/nhctour.
The NHC Tour is a yearlong bonus series offering additional prize money and qualifying berths to the NHC Final in Las Vegas. NHC Tour benefits include:
- $200,000 in prize money to Tour point leaders;
- Special offers and discounts from Daily Racing Form, Racetrack Television Network and other NHC sponsors;
- Eligibility to participate in free online tourneys offering 20 seats to the 2015 NHC;
- Individuals finishing among the top 150 points leaders on the year-end NHC Tour Leader Board who have not already qualified to the 2015 NHC at an on-site or online NTRA-sanctioned tournament, will automatically qualify for the 2015 NHC;
- Season-ending points leader will be eligible for a $2 million bonus should he or she win the January 2015 NHC;
- Weekly e-newsletter featuring player profiles, recaps of previously held tourneys, schedules and links to upcoming tournaments, etc.; and
- Eligibility to receive benefits and discounts from NTRA Advantage partners.
For more information about the Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship, visit www.ntra.com. For further information or questions about the NHC Online Challenge, contact Michele Ravencraft of the NTRA at (859) 422-2657 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
In its 16th year, the Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship, Presented by Racetrack Television Network, Sovereign Stable and Treasure Island Las Vegas is the most important tournament of the year for horseplayers. There are no “buy-in” entries at the NHC. It is the culmination of a yearlong series of NTRA-sanctioned local tournaments conducted by racetracks, casino racebooks, off-track betting facilities and horse racing and handicapping websites, each of which sends its top qualifiers to the national finals. Every year, the NHC winner joins other human and equine champions as an honoree at the Eclipse Awards. The 15 NHC Champions since the event’s inception, in chronological order, are Steven Walker, Judy Wagner, Herman Miller, Steve Wolfson Jr., Kent Meyer, Jamie Michelson, Ron Rippey, Stanley Bavlish, Richard Goodall, John Conte, Brian Troop, John Doyle, Michael Beychok, Jim Benes and Jose Arias.
About the NTRA
The NTRA is a broad-based coalition of more than 80 horse racing interests consisting of leading Thoroughbred racetracks, owners, breeders, trainers, horseplayers and affiliated horse racing associations, charged with increasing the popularity of horse racing and improving economic conditions for industry participants. The NTRA has offices in Lexington, Ky., and New York City. NTRA press releases appear on NTRA.com, Twitter (@ntra) and Facebook (facebook.com/1NTRA).