Lexington, Ky. – December 3, 2013 – The Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance (TAA) announced today that it has accredited 20 additional Thoroughbred aftercare facilities. These facilities join the TAA’s first three accredited facilities, Florida Thoroughbred Retirement and Adoptive Care, New Vocations, and Southern California Thoroughbred Rescue, for a total of 23 TAA accredited facilities. These organizations are now eligible to receive financial grants from the TAA for the ongoing care of retired Thoroughbreds.
These facilities represent a cross-section of rescue, retirement, retraining and adoption programs located across the United States as well as two in Canada. Following a detailed application process and careful onsite examinations by TAA inspectors and independent veterinarians, each of these facilities was judged to have met or exceeded the TAA Code of Standards in the areas of operations, education, horse care management, facility standards and services, and adoption policies and protocols.
Stated James Hastie, TAA Executive Director: “We’re thrilled to grant accreditation to these worthy organizations in recognition of the great work they’re doing. Each of these facilities has undergone a rigorous review process to ensure that they are providing a uniform level of care for our retired Thoroughbreds, and we are pleased to invite them to apply for funding.”
Following is a listing of the newly accredited facilities:
· Akindale Thoroughbred Rescue – Pawling, N.Y.
· Angel Acres Horse Haven – Glenville, Pa.
· CANTER, California – Los Gatos, Calif.
· CANTER, Ohio – Mentor, Ohio
· Equine Encore – Tucson, Ariz.
· Glen Ellen Vocational Academy – Glen Ellen, Calif.
· Humanity for Horses – Mt. Shasta, Calif.
· Kentucky Equine Humane Center – Lexington, Ky.
· Long Run Thoroughbred Retirement Society – Toronto, Ontario (Canada)
· Mid-Atlantic Horse Rescue – Chesapeake City, Md.
· Mitchell Farm Equine Retirement– Salem, Conn.
· Neigh Savers Foundation – Walnut Creek, Calif.
· New Stride Thoroughbred Adoption Society – Surrey, British Columbia (Canada)
· Old Friends – Georgetown, Ky.
· ReRun – Virginia Beach, Va.
· The Exceller Fund – Lexington, Ky.
· Thoroughbred Placement Resources – Upper Marlboro, Md.
· Tijuana River Valley Animal Rescue – San Diego, Calif.
· TROTT USA – Laguna Hills, Calif.
· United Pegasus Foundation – Tehacapi, Calif.
To view the requirements for TAA accreditation and the complete TAA Code of Standards for aftercare facilities, please visit the Accreditation page on the TAA website. The 2014 Code of Standards and the Application for Accreditation will be available in February 2014.ccreditation and the complete TAA Code of Standards for aftercare facilities, please visit the Accreditation page on the TAA website. The 2014 Code of Standards and the Application for Accreditation will be available in February 2014.